It’s a good idea to share your location with your close friends and family, especially if you’re going somewhere alone or you find yourself in a potentially dangerous situation. It’s also handy if you get lost and need someone to find you. You can do this either through your Apple Maps app if you are an iPhone owner or Google Maps if you’re an Android owner.
I know that my loved ones would want to know where I am if I were in a bad spot, and I certainly would want to know where they are.
Before you make a journey by yourself, consider sharing your location with at least one person so that you’re not completely unreachable. ( )
We’ve talked plenty about how sharing your location is a super personal thing and you wouldn’t want to do it with just anyone. I’m definitely picky when it comes to who can see where I am, however, smartphones have permissions where you can allow certain people like your brother or your best friend to know where you are. Before you make a journey by yourself, consider sharing your location with at least one person so that you’re not completely unreachable. Remember, you can always turn it off at any point. Here are the steps to do it through each app.
- Open your iMessage app
- Select the name of the person you are conversing with whom you want to share your location
- Tap the person’s contact circle at the top center of your messages
- Click Send My Current Location if you want to let the person know where you are at that moment
- Click Share My Location if you want the person to have your location at all times
Like iPhones, Android phones have also made it easy for you to share your location with a loved one should you feel that it is necessary to do so. If you’re an Android user, follow these steps to make your location known to whomever you decide you want to share it with. Note: Settings may vary depending on your Android phone’s manufacturer.
Like iPhones, Android phones have also made it easy for you to share your location with a loved one should you feel that it is necessary to do so. ( )
What other ways can I share my location on my Android?
There are two ways to share your location on an Android, depending on whether the person has a Google account. If the person has a Google account, follow these steps:
Settings may vary depending on your Android phone’s manufacturer
- If you haven’t already, add their Gmail address to your Google Contacts
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app and sign in
- Tap your profile picture or initials and select Location sharing
- Tap New share
- Choose how long you want to share your location
- Tap the profile of the person with whom you want to share your location. If asked about your contacts, give Google Maps access
- Tap Share
If the person does not have a Google account, follow these steps:
What are your thoughts on sharing your location with close friends and family? Do you currently share your location with anyone? If so, who and why? Let us know by writing us at CyberGuy.com/Contact
For more of my security alerts, subscribe to my free CyberGuy Report Newsletter by heading to CyberGuy.com/Newsletter
Copyright 2023 CyberGuy.com. All rights reserved.